Monday, June 1, 2009

Printer Woes

*tearing out my hair*

Well, after getting one good book printing run (Inklings II) out of them, QualityPOD goes out of business. Just when I had a second project ready to send them too.

I'm thinking I might try a traditional printer, despite the huge overhead costs, because at this rate I'm probably spending as much money in time costs looking for a Print On Demand company as it would simply to just shell out a huge amount for a 1000 book run with a non-ondemand source.

Generally 1000 is the minimum quantity they will do. So then it means two things 1) can I recoup my costs for that large of a run, since I'm not planning to sell these in retail outlets?, and 2) do I have the storage space for it!!!! I gave up on large runs like that a few years ago when every available space in my tiny apartment (now tiny house) became filled up with all the limited edition prints. That was before Epson printers and large fancy giclees became the thing.

Specifically, for a POD company, my greyscales require that they have one of two types of machines: a Xerox DC250 family or an Xerox igen

Which seems to be exceedingly rare.

*more hair tearing*

8 comments:

  1. I hate to hear this! I received my copy of the Inklings II and absolutely loved it! And the dragon drawn inside was gorgeous!! THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, it makes me sad! Well, I'm glad to hear at least that you are enjoying your Inklings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, I hate dealing with print stuff - its always a hassle. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh noooooo :( Is every printer you use cursed?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seems like. Also, sounds like Ken might be coming back into the business. Though that scares me a little. :) But...his machines do such beautiful quality....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I mostly use offset printing and although it is an investment, it is really worth it, especially for an artist like you who will have no trouble at all selling the product. Also, you could print your inklings book in duotones instead of 4 colors, which would reduce your costs. It's also really nice to have more types of paper available :) But maybe you already know all this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gah! Even more incentive for me to grab a book while I can! Still waiting for a few checks to arrive in the mail from shows. Oh waiting and check processing, you torture me so!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, yeah, Inklings II has now become a limited edition (at least until I can find another printer again!)

    ReplyDelete